Sunday, July 10, 2011

St George Marathon 2010

Jumping back to October 2010. 

Somehow my brothers and sisters and I manage to convince each other that running a marathon is a good idea. Last year Kamie, Ashley and I ran the Ogden marathon in May and then Kamie, Jason, Brooke, Justin and I we're lucky enough to draw out for the St George marathon the following October. I was really excited to run the St George because, well, it's the St George marathon and that's awesome. 

My Ogden marathon was fun but I had my worst time ever... by a long shot. So I decided that I was really going to work on my speed for the St George. My training started out really well and I was improving my time quite a bit. Without going into too many details, what happened was I was getting over trained and eventually injured my hip. I had to take a month off right before the marathon, I honestly wouldn't have done the race had it not been the St George, and I especially still wanted to do it because I love running with my family, and there was 5 of us and that's awesome too.  

Here's Lyza at the pool, this is where we all stayed for the race.

Brooklyn, Abbie, Brynlee, Lexie, Dawson and Noah

Lyza and me madre

Here's Kam Bam and me the morning of

Me, Brooke, and Kamie waiting in line for the bathroom.

Here we are the evening of the race. We all finished and we all agreed that it was the hardest race we've ever done. It was SO hot (I think I read that it was a record high for the St George marathon) Rich said he's never seen so many people need assistance crossing the finish line. It was by far my worst time and by far my hardest race. To put how hot it was into perspective for you, my time was something like 5:40.

 Yes that's right 5 hours and 40 minutes of running. 
(well sorta like running, more like jog/walking at this point)

In that time not only was I drinking at every aide station but I had my water that I carried with me as well and I had to refill it several times throughout the race. I was eating at every aide station along with taking about 7 GU that I had brought with me. Seriously, I was eating and drinking so much because I was terrified of getting dehydrated. With all that drinking and eating I didn't use a bathroom once in that whole 5:40. I was sweating it all out, it was weird. I'm sorry I probably didn't need to say all that, but I'm just trying to give you an idea of what it was like. 

This is pretty much how we all looked the rest of the weekend. Sweet little Brynlee. 

Throughout that whole race, I was cursing pretty much everything and everyone. I was pissed at life, swearing I'd never ever do another marathon. I'm sure you know where I'm headed with this... Ashley, Nique and I are currently training for the Top of Utah marathon for this September. We'll see how it goes....

No comments: